De Oppresso Liber, to Free the Oppressed
U.S. Army Special Forces, or SF, is a unique, Special Warfare organization filled with trained, seasoned, professional Soldiers. SF Soldiers receive some of the best training in the Army. They complete more than a year of advanced training in the Special Forces Qualification Course (SFQC). Due to their extensive training, they are among the most versatile Special Operations Soldiers in the world. SF missions often require rapid and discreet responses to unique situations throughout the world. At the tip of the spear in our nation’s defense, SF Soldiers are generally the first on the ground or already at a crisis location as trouble emerges.
Special Forces Soldiers are unquestioned experts in unconventional warfare. They are culturally savvy and have, as a cornerstone of their training, foreign language skills that allow them to successfully operate in their areas of responsibility. They are also experts in training and advising indigenous forces and foreign militaries in support of U.S. national objectives.
Special Forces Officers and Soldiers conduct operations worldwide in support of U.S. objectives, consisting of five primary missions including:
- COUNTERTERRORISM - Actions taken directly and indirectly against terrorist networks to influence and render global and regional environments inhospitable to terrorist networks.
- DIRECT ACTION - Short unilateral strike operations to kill, capture or destroy personnel, equipment documents or data, to damage or interdict specified targets or activities, or to recover designated personnel or material.
- FOREIGN INTERNAL DEFENSE - Participation by civilian and military agencies of a government in any of the action programs taken by another government or other designated organization to free and protect its society from subversion, lawlessness,insurgency, terrorism, and other threats to its security.
- SPECIAL RECONNAISSANCE - Reconnaissance or surveillance conducted to obtain or verify by visual or other collection methods, information concerning the capabilities, intentions, activities of an actual or potential adversary, as well as the information concerning the terrain, hydrology, climatology, populace and infrastructure in an actual or potential area of operation.
- UNCONVENTIONAL WARFARE - Activities conducted to enable a resistance movement or insurgency to coerce, disrupt, or overthrow a government or occupying power by operating through or with an underground, auxiliary, and guerrilla force in a denied area.